Dave Thaler wrote:

I agree this may be interesting, but it would be good to start a new
thread,
since it is for a very different scenario than a proxy, which has the
constraint that it must be completely transparent to the router.

What I sketched would be completely transparent to the router.

It is merely a mechanism to prevent a large class of loops by ensuring that a proxy can not be a child of another proxy.

Thus this can NOT happen:

        Router

        ------------------------
           |                 |
        Proxy1             Proxy2
           |                 |
           ---- Proxy3 --------

Proxy3 will not enable its proxy capability because it receives RAs with the P bit set.

While this CAN happen:

        Router

        Proxy1             Proxy2

          Host

But perhaps this can be prevented as well, by having the proxy disable itself it it receives a RA (P bit or not?) on its downstream interface (Could still have a temporary loop, unless we require that the proxy send its P-bit RA on the downstream interface for a while before enabling the proxying/flooding.

   Erik