Hi Martin,

[chop]
Perhaps it would be simpler just to add some text saying that Ethernet NICs that do not support 33 multicast may not (cannot?) be able to support v6?

"cannot" is too strict. IPv6 is a big thing. Only a certain form of
easy stateless autoconf is not supported if the 33 multicast is not
supported. If a non-33 host sends a RS to a pre-configured router then
that host does receive a directed RA.

I agree "cannot" is too strong. However, the normal (according to RFC 2461)
RA response to a RS is sent to the all nodes multicast address (FF02::1 i.e.
33:33::1) rather than the specific MAC address of the soliciting node.
Although most implementations may allow you to change this to a unicast
response, I'm fairly sure the default settings will be for a multicast
response.

Are we interested in clarifying whether packets need to be sent to 33:33, or whether using promiscuous or all-multi flags on interfaces are sufficient to get legacy ethernet devices to work with IPv6?

Is this for reception only, or do the legacy devices also need to
transmit on ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff?

I understand that one may imply changing the other, but it may be
useful to see if only the reception can be modified, and whether
these modifications work on all interfaces.

If there's reluctance to change ND for broadcast, then this may be
a way around the issue.

Greg