On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:25:57AM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Eric asks a good question.
>
> I think the chances that some implementers will choose to store IPv4
> addresses in IPv6-sized structures is 100%. So I am strongly of the
> view that that the IPv4-compatible *format*, i.e. a ::/96 prefix,
> needs to be reserved and never allocated. Of course, it should never
> appear on the wire.

The current reservation is for the ::/8, which contains both :: and
::ffff/96, so does it actually matter?

Incidentally, there are situations in which :: can appear validly on the
wire (but only as a source address) - with MLD for example, and that's
contained within the /96 that you're talking about.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: [EMAIL PROTECTED]