Lowell Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > We're already allowing for multiple behaviours.  Being more explicit
> > > (about what those behaviours are) could be more confusing than helpful.
> >
> > But the behaviour when receiving a deprecated address might be better
> > off being consistent?
>
> Presumably, yes.
> But it's too late to require that anyway.

Eric Gray has made me aware that I was addressing a different point
than I was following up to.  I apologize and will respond to what was
actually asked...

There is no reason to require different treatment for these addresses
than for the rest of the IETF space.  It would not be harmful to treat
them as "Martian" addresses and require them to be silently dropped
all the time, but doing so would not actually help anything either.

As I see it, the reason to deprecate these addresses is to make the
spec simpler, not more complicated.