Can someone explain the rational for why RFC 4007 mandates the scope
zone index before the prefix in the textual representation?

It appears to be the reverse of what I would expect.  A prefix is
assocaited with the IP address itself (in6_addr), while the scope zone
index is associated with the socket address (sockaddr_in6), therefore it
would appear to make more sense if the prefix were bound more closely to
the IP address than the scope zone index.

To illustrate:

Suppose we have a function in6_addr_pton which converts a textual
representation of an IP address to an in6_addr.  I would expect such a
function to accept prefix notation, but not scope zone index notation
(since scope_id is stored in a sockaddr_in6 and not in an in6_addr).

Likewise, assuming a function, sockaddr_in6_pton, which converts a
textual representation of a transport address (i.e. IP + port), I would
expect it to accept both prefix (passed with IP address to
in6_addr_pton) and scope zone index (as well as port) notation.

/* Convert text in the form "ip6 ['/' prefix]" to in6_addr */
int in6_addr_pton(const char* str, in6_addr* addr) {}

/* Convert text in the form "'[' ip6 ['/' prefix] ['%' scope] ']' ':'
port" to sockaddr_in6 */
int sockaddr_in6_pton(const char* str, socketaddr_in6* sa) {
        call in6_addr_pton() with substring "ip6 ['/' prefix]" to
extract IP address to sa.sin6_addr
        extract scope ID (if present) to sa.sin6_scope_id
        extract port to sa.sin6_port
}

Section 11.7 says its important to put the scope zone index first for
parsing by name-to-address functions and references a document that I
was unable to find.  I understand the "name-to-address functions" to
mean getaddrinfo.  However I'm not clear why getaddrinfo should care
that scope zone index appeared first assuming the substring "ip6 ['/'
prefix]" were handled by a function similar in6_addr_pton above.

--Stephen