Ok so we are pretty much decided on adding the
awareness text.

What about we add the following text to cover your
second point also (i.e. recommending the upper layers to
use the payload for validation).

===
    6. As the ICMP messages are passed to the upper-layer
       processes, it is possible to perform attacks on the
       upper layer protocols (e.g., TCP) with ICMP [TCP-attack].
       Protecting the upper layer with IPsec mitigates this
       problem.  If not protected by IPsec, it is recommended
       for the upper layers to perform some form of validation
       of ICMP messages (using the information contained in
       the payload of the ICMP) before action upon them.  The
       actual validation checks are specific to the upper
       layers and are out of the scope of this spec.
===

The third point that you raise about the hard and the soft
errors, I am not sure what to do.  Do we already have a
resolution for TCP that
 - it should not consider any of the ICMP messages as
   hard errors ?  Or
 - it should perform some checks and then consider them
   as hard and soft according to RFC 1122 ? or
 - something else ?

Could you suggest what specific text we should add to
ICMPv6 to cover the issue of hard and soft errors ?

Regards
Mukesh