On May 3, 2005, at 9:42, Kit Plummer wrote:

On May 3, 2005, at 3:36 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Kit Plummer wrote:

On Apr 24, 2005, at 8:55 AM, Ran Liebermann wrote:

Ofcourse if the label will also be used to classify traffic for
diffserv then this is one more reason for SPs to override the label to
zero on all ingress traffic from customers.

If this is the case, and I hope it is...wouldn't is simply make more sense for the SP to ignore the FL all together? Therefore, if the FL were pertinent on the other end...

The diffserv use case would use an e2e flow label to allow all diffserv
classifiers along the path to correctly reclassify the packet, even if
the protocol and port numbers are obscured by encryption. That only works
if the flow label value is preserved right up to the last router on the
last LAN on the path.

   Brian

Brian,

Just trying to see this straight...and I think I am understanding correctly. But, my question is why would a SP override the label, if the label is to provide information from a classification perspective? The answer as I see is that they shouldn't...and as you pointed out the necessity for preservation from true e2e.

I can't speak for Brian, but I understand what he is saying. The FL is the
only end-to-end field used for classification. The Traffic Class field will/
can be modified at the border of each service provider. The FL remains
constant and can be input into that classification process.

Regards,
Brian