Hi,

The proposed changes in Section 2.7 on Multicast Addresses and Section 4.0 IANA Considerations can be found below. The changes are based on the issues raised by Thomas Narten and the IANA. I believe this will resolve the issues.

The complete document can be found at:

  http://people.nokia.net/~hinden/draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.txt

along with a diff from the previous version.

  http://people.nokia.net/~hinden/draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.html

Please review and let me know if you find any problems. I plan to submit this in a few days.

Thanks,
Bob

-----------------------------------

2.7 Multicast Addresses

   An IPv6 multicast address is an identifier for a group of interfaces
   (typically on different nodes).  An interface may belong to any
   number of multicast groups.  Multicast addresses have the following
   format:

   |   8    |  4 |  4 |                  112 bits                   |
   +------ -+----+----+---------------------------------------------+
   |11111111|flgs|scop|                  group ID                   |
   +--------+----+----+---------------------------------------------+

      binary 11111111 at the start of the address identifies the address
      as being a multicast address.

                                    +-+-+-+-+
      flgs is a set of 4 flags:     |0|R|P|T|
                                    +-+-+-+-+

         The high-order flag is reserved, and must be initialized to 0.

         T = 0 indicates a permanently-assigned ("well-known") multicast
         address, assigned by the Internet Assigned Number Authority
         (IANA).

         T = 1 indicates a non-permanently-assigned ("transient" or
         "dynamically" assigned) multicast address.

         The P flag's definition and usage can be found in [RFC3306].

         The R flag's definition and usage can be found in [RFC3956].

      scop is a 4-bit multicast scope value used to limit the scope of
      the multicast group.  The values are:

         0  reserved
         1  interface-local scope
         2  link-local scope
         3  reserved
         4  admin-local scope
         5  site-local scope
         6  (unassigned)
         7  (unassigned)
         8  organization-local scope
         9  (unassigned)
         A  (unassigned)
         B  (unassigned)
         C  (unassigned)
         D  (unassigned)
         E  global scope
         F  reserved

         interface-local scope spans only a single interface on a
         node, and is useful only for loopback transmission of
         multicast.

         link-local multicast scope spans the same
         topological region as the corresponding unicast scope.

         admin-local scope is the smallest scope that must be
         administratively configured, i.e., not automatically
         derived from physical connectivity or other, non-
         multicast-related configuration.

         site-local scope is intended to span a single site.

         organization-local scope is intended to span multiple
         sites belonging to a single organization.

         scopes labeled "(unassigned)" are available for
         administrators to define additional multicast regions.

      group ID identifies the multicast group, either permanent or
      transient, within the given scope.  Additional definitions of the
      multicast group ID field structure is defined in [RFC3306].

-------------------------------------

4. IANA Considerations

   The "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" is deprecated by this document.
   The IANA should continue to list the address block containing these
   addresses at http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address-space as
   "Reserved by IETF" and not reassign it for any other purpose.  For
   example:

      0000::/8        Reserved by IETF        [RFC3513]      [1]

   The IANA is requested to add the following note and link it to this
   address block.

      [5]  0000::/96 was previously defined as the "IPv4-compatible IPv6
           address" prefix.  This definition has been deprecated by
           [RFC-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.txt].

   The IANA is requested to update the references for the IPv6 Address
   Architecture in the IANA registries to this RFC when it is published.