> Regarding breaking backward compatibility - this compatibility affects
> only clients, right?  Can we answer the question: exactly how would
> existing clients (and I'll bet we can enumerate all the available
> clients) be affected by a change in definition?  How would the observed
> behavior of the clients be out-of-spec relative to the new definition?

It depends on the details of the "new definition".  For example, a
"radical" change like removing the flags altogether would break the
compatibility.  I cannot be more specific at the moment, since the
original message from Thomas did not show specific ideas...

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.