Christian,

I can live with a SHOULD (I was using MUST to get folks to respond
:--)).  I just don't think we can have our cake and eat it too, it is an
immature view to try.  We also have to realize for any spec
implementations will always support what the customer wants in cases of
choices over the spec in case of a SHOULD.  That makes sense too and the
users will cause the correction they want. But, we need to make sure the
users "clearly" understand the intent of our IETF work too. The
consensus here in the IETF is that statless should be used whereever
possible.  Note I am not against dhc6 and stateful either I put a part
of my IETF lifetime into dhc6 and pushed it all the way back at IETF
Danvers 1995.  But, I do believe the inherent Steve Deering (Father of
IPv6) model of IPv6 permitting stateless behavior is correct view for
the evolution of the Internet using IPv6.

I don't think we need the O bit anymore either.  Leave that to dhc WG
and process.  But, we need a way to suggest a large code base transition
for dropping the O bit for ND and Addcronf.  The if conditionals for the
M bit should support this without adding a lot of code to
implementations is my view, from talking with some other implementers.

Also if we can do this quickly it would be good because of updates to
2461biz and 2462biz.

Also I agree with you, when no RA it is a free zone decison client can
us dhc.  But, I don't support putting that text in ND or addrconf as it
opens up discussion not currently there.  We are silent on this use case
and should remain silent.  If we want to open this aspect of link
behavior it should be its own IETF spec and work item, approved by IPv6
Chairs and this WG.  Reason is there is more to this than just dhc
clients.

thanks
/jim