Stig Venaas wrote:

Please don't send HTML, hard for me to read and quote.

Clients should definitely do an MLD join for this group (just as they
should for the solicited multicast address used for ND). My experience
is also that clients do join both the "solicited" and the "name-lookup".
I would be interested to hear of any implementations that don't. If not,
the job for snooping switches will be pretty difficult. In general we
need to make it very clear that one always needs to do MLD joins, except
for ff02::1.

Stig
Agreed.  We just need a few words as per 2461bis. Something like..

Nodes intending to respond to name lookup queries MUST join the appropriate multicast addresses for the names to wghich they will respond. Joining the name lookup multicast address SHOULD be done using the Multicast Listener Discovery [MLD] or [MLDv2] protocols.

Elwyn