Stephen,

> >> I don't really see how those apply.
> >
> > Only because from what I remember of Matt's draft, and what Fred
> > said about his, they perform some sort of MTU discovery without
> > relying on a feedback mechanism e.g. ICMP Dest Unreachable,
> > Packet Too Big, which I think you solution would have to deal with,
> > assuming that there wasn't a requirement to add protocols to the
> > switches.
>
> Any solution which requires an upgrade of all the L1/L2
> devices in a path
> will fail in the majority (IMHO) of cases.  Let's stick to
> smart edges and
> dumb networks.

Not sure whether you meant this wrt to the drafts mentioned above,
but the PMTUD mechanisms proposed in those drafts operate only
at edge nodes close to the end nodes or at the end nodes themselves.

'draft-templin=ipvlx-02.txt' goes a bit further in proposing a
new encapsulation that would need to be understood by some (but
not all) middleboxes on the path. But, this is a separate issue
from the PMTUD mechanism and if you don't want to touch any
middleboxes you can always apply the PMTUD mechanism proposed
in that document to other tunneling mechanisms that use
"standard" encapsulations.

Fred