(Sorry for being late on the replies, been busy recently :)

> When a tunnel is used, there may be many L2 segments (connected by
> L2 switches) with diverse MTUs separating the tunnel endpoints in what
> otherwise appears as a single-hop to L3. And, the set of L2 segments
> will often be different in the forward and reverse directions.

Hrm, good point.  Although IMHO since tunnels are things that are likely
to be configured by the network admin (modulo 6to4 etc) if the admin
screws it up it's their own fault.  The point is to make it work "by
default".  We can't cover every possible eventuality of admins
sabotaging their own network.

However, on the flipside, maybe we should just do it symmetrically (and
send packets both ways).  It doubles the bandwidth, and halves the
failure cases :)

> I asked this earlier, but where are we at in the decision process
> for native IPv6 vs tunneled?

I'm not sure I understand the question.