I believe I see the distinction.  The Router Alert is of
particular interest to routers, not all intermediate nodes, and
it includes "extra" information about the contents of the packet
(outside the Router Alert Option or indeed other options in the
H-B-H header).

A H-B-H extension header says "look at the options and perform
them", and the Router Alert is a "hint" saying there may be even
more interesting stuff in the packet - besides just the options -
that requires the router's attention.

Spence
(hi Brian)