From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Radhakrishnan.S
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 7:32 AM
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Fragment Header

That said; how should the case where we have the fragment header and both the Fragment Offset and the M flag is 0 be treated?
=> The one and only fragment.  :-) Doesnt make sense unless u want to test the reassembling capability of the receiver of the fragments. The presence of a fragment header is used in NAT-PT IPv4->IPv6 to indicate that the packet is fragmentable. (case where DF bit is NOT set in IPv4 header).

Why do we need the M flag in the "fragment header" at all for IPv6? Having the fragment header itself would tell it's a fragment and would distinguish between the first fragment and a non-fragment.
=> M flag is used to distinguish last frag from others!!!! Its used for ide! ntifying the last frag when computing the length during reassembly.

Vishwas Manral wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a doubt regarding the fragment header. Why do we need the M flag in the "fragment header" at all for IPv6? Having the fragment header itself would tell it's a fragment and would distinguish between the first fragment and a non-fragment.

In IPv4 we did not have a fragment header, so the M flag was logical to have for distinguishing the first and a non fragment.

That said; how should the case where we have the fragment header and both the Fragment Offset and the M flag is 0 be treated?

Thanks,
Vishwas