Hi there:

I believe the issue is not about fragmentation.

The minimum Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) of 1280 stated in RFC 2460 does not
stops IPv6 packets to be smaller that 1280 octets - what it does say is that
any link that is supposed to convey IPv6 packets must accept packets that are
at least as big as 1280 octets - what the RFC says is that if an IPv6 node has
a path MTU smaller that 1280 octets, then the IPv6 packets must be
fragmented/reassembled at a layer bellow IPv6.

Actually, is kind of dumb to have a protocol that defines packets to be as big
as 64K and then mostly uses only 1500 bytes, but that another story, and btw,
this was already true for IPv4... Ethernet issue I suppose...

So, if a given payload is to conveyed over a network whose path MTU is 1280
(but it can be bigger, as far as I know, there is no upper limit) the sender
fragments the payload and encapsulates it in IPv6 packets whose size is 1280
octets. This does not mean that the last (or any) packet cannot be 100 octets
long, it only says that an IPv6 node, after running Path MTU Discovery
(RFC1981), must fragment its payloads as to make the IPv6 packets as big as the
discovered MTU.

So here are my 2 cents, hope it helps, and I take this occasion to wish you all
a very Happy Season, and a wonderful 2006.

Greetings!

Nuno Garcia
PhD Student
SIEMENS S.A.
INFORMATION and COMMUNICATIONS * RESEARCH and DEVELOPMENT 1 * RESEARCH

Rua Irmãos Siemens, 1
Ed. 1, Piso 0
Alfragide
2720-093 Amadora