On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 23:42 +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Pars Mutaf wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have updated my HUMID internet draft entitled:
> >
> > "Human-regenerable IPv6 interface identifiers and addresses"
> >
> > Until it appears at the IETF site, you can find it at the
> > following address if you're interested:
> >
> > http://www.freewebs.com/pmutaf/draft-mutaf-ipv6humid-01.txt
>
> [don't read this as an overly negative reply...]

Hi Jeroen,

> Why don't you: ping6 ff02::1

Because when you do that, you got a lot replies. You don't
know who is who.

> and then ssh into the server that has your DNS server running and fix it
> up? Or, why not use mDNS (http://www.multicastdns.org/) or SMB/CIFS
> nameresolution? Without DNS you have no network nowadays anyway.

I believe the DNS server may be down (routing is independent). But
if you don't agree, there are a lot of other things that may go
wrong. Take the MIPv6 home agent, it may be unreachable. You can't
get the destination's care-of-address. Only the home agent knows
it, and it is unreachable.

Or, simply, there is no internet infrastructure in range.

(please let me know when you finish reading the draft ;-)

> Solving your missing DNS problem by (ab)using a large portion of the
> EUI-64 space is not something I think is very useful.

Why do you think I'm (ab)using the EUI-64 space? We already have
random addresses. I missed something?

> It is a fun
> approach, but not very useful in common cases.

I'm glad that you find that funny. But I'm really serious here ;-)
It is very useful in uncommon cases.

> The 'name generation' is per definition flawed.

You are too much generalizing imho.

> Quite a number of people
> on this planet don't have names that map into ASCII, or when mapped
> according to your rules would maybe only have 4 letters over creating a
> collision.

I completely agree with you. I tried to make something
universal. But I immediately realized that I have to learn
spanish, chinese, etc... I dont even know if there is a white
space in chinese language. Some people are talented for
learning foreign languages. I'm not like them.

Then, I decided to take it easy. I'm proposing this for the
ASCII character set. If there is an interest, if possible, we
can extend it.

> Next to that if you mistype "jeanfrancoisleroux", which is
> quite easy to do eg "johnfranslaroeks" ;)

Frankly I've no problem with typing jean francois le roux.
Please note that, you don't have to know all names in the world!
I'm sure there are a number of human names that you know
typing correctly (family, colleages, friends...).

In this case, HUMID is useful for you.

> Or simple case, my own name,
> people tend to even say "jereon" or "jeroem" or "joeren", let alone the
> problem with pronunciation and then how people tend to write it ;)
> Then again, only dutch folks seem to be able to pronounce it correctly.

Good for them. Bad for the others.

In fact, I don't think human is that stupid. We (humans) know in
general that we might have done a mistake somewhere.

The initiator will try:

jereon massar
jeroem massar
joeren massar

and finally contact you at jeroen massar! (hopefully)

Try to see this like a human scanning protocol. It may find you,
or it may fail. I say it will mostly succeed.

> Another issue I see is simply the case of 'forgetting the name'. People
> who can't fixup a DNS server, or use SMB/CIFS naming or similar tools
> also tend to forget their passwords and logins. Do they then all of a
> sudden have the availability of a SHA tool which directly converts the
> names in to those name addresses? Most people don't even have the
> ip6_arpa.pl script handy to lookup revers IPv6 DNS names ;)

I couldn't understand your point. The host will do everything for
the user. The user is only asked to enter the name.

Greets,
pars