Hi again,

- should we drop a packet silently - without returning ICMPv6 parameter
          problem (jabley's suggestion), or should we return ICMPv6 so that
          innocent user of rthdr0 would be notified (kame's latest tree).
          since there's no amplification and ICMPv6 errors are rate-limited,
          returning ICMPv6 parameter problem would not harm that much (even
          under DDoS condition - depending on how your implementation do
          rate-limit).

If RH0 is deprecated, the processing of this extension falls back to RFC 4443:

   If an IPv6 node processing a packet finds a problem with a field in
   the IPv6 header or extension headers such that it cannot complete
   processing the packet, it MUST discard the packet and SHOULD
originate an ICMPv6 Parameter Problem message to the packet's source,
   indicating the type and location of the problem.

        - packet filters MUST have filtering language/syntax/whatever that
supports rthdr0. openbsd guys are working on it - PF syntax will be
          annotated with new rule.  see May 8 entry by [EMAIL PROTECTED] at
http://opengrok.creo.hu/openbsd/history/src/sys/net/. more to come.

The wise choice is that packet filters must *support* RH2.
I am really scared that these discussions about RH0 also kill RH2 and Mobile IPv6. That will probably lead to another endless discussions to decide how the same feature as RH2 could be re-added to Mobile IPv6 (i.e. a specific Home Address Extension that do not share the same next header value as RH0). Shisa's people might be useful here.

A last comment on the two drafts, I think that they need to be merged (and draft-jabley-ipv6-rh0-is-evil stopped). The discussion about IPv4 should be removed. Some sentences in the introduction explaining that SR processing is disable are enough.

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Valadon / ギョーム バラドン