On Jun 28, 2007, at 09:39, Christian Huitema wrote:

I would support Paul proposal, but with one small change. Paul proposes
a delegation hierarchy in the ULA-C space:

should be replaced with this one:

      | 7 bits |1|  8 bits  | 16 bits | 16 bits | 80 bits  |
      +--------+-+----------+---------+---------+----------+
      | Prefix |L| Reserved | RIR Num | LIR Num | User Num |

That is fine, but I would rather call the delegation field by a
different name than "RIR Num". Call in it RIR assumes that the numbers
can only be allocated by the current set of regional registries. I don't
see any technical reason to carve this policy in a standard. I would
much prefer a neutral designation, e.g. "Registry Number".

Actually, I think for DNS operation purposes, it makes more sense to reserve the RIR Num field for the existing regional registries. Registries that aren't RIRs can be assigned by IANA directly from the RIR=0 space.

--
james woodyatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
member of technical staff, communications engineering