Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
> Please see in line below with "<hs>"

At least as a sysadmin/user I would find it confusing if the prefix
length I configured would not be used for on-link determination.

I think it's more bad than good to try to separate the two. I'm
happy the way it currently is on the systems I've seen.

> <hs> If the host has been manually configured for IPv6 address where the host
> was also configured for prefix and prefix length, then what's on-link for
> this host can be determined by host. But what if manual configuration
> configured an IPv6 address and maybe, also the prefix, but forgot to
> configure prefix length. Then this manual configuration has no means to
> determine what's on-link for a destination based on the data from manual
> configuration. I have host not assuming a default prefix length yet. The RA
> has been explicitly ignored. So not this host has no choice but to send
> non-link-local traffic to the default router. Specifying manual configuration
> behavior and its interaction with RA is a can of worms that will take time to
> clear up.

Can you manually configure prefix on a host without also specifying
prefix length?

Stig