I support the promotion of draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-01.txt to a Proposed
Standard.

IMO the editor and author(s) did an exceptionally good job in distilling our
many and often somewhat divergent comments into the document we're considering.

The above having been said, I'd like to share one _suggestion_ (to be
redundant, it is just a suggestion).

Section 4.2 (now): "Firewall policy intended to protect against packets
containing RH0 MUST NOT simply filter all traffic with a routing header; it
must be possible to disable forwarding of type 0 traffic without blocking other
types of routing headers. In addition, the default configuration MUST permit
forwarding of traffic using a RH other than 0."

I don't see it as necessary to dictate firewall policy (particularly to the
degree that it is here... for the remaining RH types) in this draft. The
original intent, as I understood it, was to call for the deprecation of RH0 and
state why.

If dictating firewall policy (for the remaining RH types) must be done in this
draft, I'd at least prefer  to see more concise language. A _suggestion_:

"A de facto discarding of all packets containing any routing headers is
inappropriate (and may hamper future functionality using other routing
headers). Presently, Mobile IPv6 uses Routing Header Type 2 [RFC 3775].

Firewall policy (intended to protect against RH0) MUST have the ability to
handle routing headers by specific type."

Regardless of the exact language that's employed, I can almost hear people
saying (something like):

"My firewall doesn't have the granularity to filter on RH type. From reading
this RFC, it seems we shouldn't filter on any RH. But what about the dangers
associated with RH0? I know that ingress filtering doesn't completely solve the
problem. What do I do?"

Best Regards,

Tim Enos
Rom 8:28-39