> Also online: http://www.ip6.com/us/book/index.html (first hit
> for google
> (ipv6 book) btw.

I've already mentioned that one on http://www.getipv6.info but I can't
say that it is recommended unless I learn more about it.

I trust Brian Carpenter's recommendation due to his history with the
IETF and I think I trust the French book because it is a wiki and Mohsen
claims it is being kept up to date. I'm not sure that I trust the other
books in your list, especially since you reference Huitema's book which
is part of the problem. I have Huitema's book among others, and that is
one of the reasons why I don't feel confident that I understand IPv6
well enough to write a draft of "Guidelines for RIRs" or "Guidelines for
ISPs". Perhaps there is a newer edition, but is it new enough? Was it,
or any of the other books on your list, vetted by enough eyes to be
trusted? The advantage of an RFC is that it does undergo some serious
vetting by people who went through the process of creating IPv6 and
understand how it works.

Books written by IPv4 experts are particularly problematic, because how
do we know that the author is not blinded by invalid IPv4 assumptions?

> The 'correct' one for you thus depends on what you are
> looking for of course ;)

Indeed. I'm not looking for a book at all, but an RFC which summarizes
the current state of IPv6 that can be used as an authoritative source to
win arguments with people who are still stuck in IPv4 thinking. At this
point, I have to trawl through dozens of RFCs looking for this
information, or else use one of the books Brian recommended and hope
that the fact of his recommendation holds some weight. People are just
beginning to seriously deploy IPv6, many just in lab test environments.
A lot of mistakes are being made because too many people think of IPv6
as IPv4 with more bits.

> Practical experience is of course the real way to learn to
> use it. Books are good references though and tend to read
> easier than RFCs.

It takes years to get the practical experience, and even more years to
unlearn bad habits. As for readability, an overview RFC is not likely to
be as hard to read as a protocol specification.

The real issue here is, does the IETF's responsibility end with giving
the vendors the specs that they need, or does the IETF have a
responsibility to RIRs, network operators, enterprise network managers,
and end users?

--Michael Dillon