If that happens (RIRs not having policies for using ULA), then IETF can ask
IANA to create a new registry for that, and IANA need to do it, no choice
against that IETF decision.

However I still think at least some of the RIRs will get that policy in
place, and I think is the best approach.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Per Heldal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Responder a: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Fecha: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:15:20 +0100
> Para: Margaret Wasserman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> CC: <ipv6@ietf.org>
> Asunto: Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mrw-6man-ulac-analysis-00
>
> On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 22:46 -0500, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
>> FYI --
>>
>> I wrote this draft to try to capture the major arguments for and
>> against the definition of ULA-Cs.  Please let me know if I've gotten
>> anything wrong, or if there are any major arguments (in either
>> direction) that I've missed.
>
> Regardless of the listed arguments one may also question IETFs role in
> the definition of (any) ULA as there is no technical reason why such an
> address-block must be tagged 'special'. If the IETF wants to provide
> guidance to the policy-process such should be no stronger than BCPs
> (like rfc1918), not technical standards (rfc4193). The regional
> registries, through the ICANN/ASO and IANA, may or may not choose to
> implement policies that support some form of ULA. There's no need for
> the IETF to dictate that process. Also consider the signals such
> standards communicate to manufacturers. Misleading standards and
> policies have led vendors to introduce artificial limitations in
> hardware and software in the past (example: 240/4). Do we really want
> that?
>

> //per

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that
information, including attached files, is prohibited.