Geoff Huston wrote:
How about 2001:67f:e000::/35 ?

Would have the same first bit ('0') as the 2001:db8::/32. So although some people would say that 2001:67f:e000::/35 and 2001:db8::/32 are two completely different prefixes some other people can say they have an aggregation relationship - I want to avoid that.

When I look this up in the RIPE db I get:

inet6num:       2001:67f:e000::/35
netname:        ZZ-EXAMPLE-20071031
descr:          Provider Local Registry
                This is a test LIR
                * This registration is a test registration *
                * It is used to test the PA Wizard         *
                * feature of the RIPE NCC LIR Portal       *
                *                                          *
                * These addressses are not routed          *

Huh? So a Registry also could reserve some addresses for internal use...
ok...

(I vaguely recall that RIPE had also allocated an IPv6 documentation
 prefix some years ago, but I can't find it when looking today, so I
 guess that this was deprecated in favour of 2001::0DB8::/32 )

I have some vague rememberings of a cca 2001yr draft with a proposal of
reserved addresses for illustration... or maybe that simply became
today's RFC3849 "IPv6 Address Prefix Reserved for Documentation".

Alex

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
Geoff Huston wrote:
You are looking for 2001:0DB8::/32

The IANA IPv6 registry
[http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments]

says:

     2001:0DB8::/32 has been assigned as a NON-ROUTABLE
     range to be used for documentation purpose [RFC3849].

RFC3849 is the reference
   "IPv6 Address Prefix Reserved for Documentation", June 2004

Thanks Geoff, that's it.

What I'm looking for now is a 2nd documentation prefix, that would differ in the first bit. Such that nobody could say that this prefix X has an aggregation relationship with 2001:db8::/32. Such that I can picture a Router with two non-hierarchical non-aggregated prefixes on its two interfaces.

The Router on my paper would not ROUTE anything, it's on paper. But some deployed Router may ROUTE between two such prefixes differing on the first bit.

Alex

  Geoff

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
Hi 6MAN,

I remember having seen a draft or a section in a draft/rfc that
suggested a certain value for IPv6 addresses in example architectures
(those used only for explanation purposes, not actually deployed
addresses).  Something like this:

     ------   3ffe:1:2:1::1/65  ------

Is that document alive existing somewhere? Something along the lines of section 2.2 Text Representation of Addresses of RFC4291 "IPv6 Addressing
Architecture" which says an example of unicast address is
"2001:DB8::8:800:200C:417A"; but something that indicates which values
exactly to use in a document describing an example (non-deployed)
addressing architecture.

Thanks,

Alex