Thanks. I also heard from Brian McGehee. It is basically the same reason:
efficiency by removing processing that is deemed unneeded. In this case the
layer 2 and 4 checksums are relied upon and simplification and thereby
performance is achieved at layer 3.

  These are obvious reasons and I have seen them documented. Wonder on two
things:

  1. one if there were other reasons for not including checksum in IPv6 header,
historically speaking if there was a contrary view?

  2. second, concerns the security implication if any. Yes the checksum was
intended for guarding against transmission errors, not as a security technique.
The question is if there are some unintended security impact possible?
Eventually the presence or absence of a checksum at layer 3 may be not too
important because the checksum can be recomputed if some malicious change is
inserted.

  Thanks for the input.