I used to follow export issues in 1997/1998 at which time any 'hard-
to crack' encryption was not exportable [hence all sorts of
implementations using 40 bit keys]......yet any crypto used solely
for authentication purposes was exempt.  This has changed over the
years and of course different countries have different regulations.

This wiki is actually pretty good in terms of a synopsis on the
history in US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export_of_cryptography

Any vendor shipping IPsec (or any other technology utilizing
cryptographic algorithms) since mid 1990's will be familiar with the
export rules (and their permutations).   All companies shipping
products with encryption [or thinking of doing so] need to look at
http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/default.htm ..... and http://
www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/lechart1.htm

I guess the Bureau of Industry and Security may need some re-
education since in practice not all IPv6 implementations support
IPsec with encryption capability (some initial implementations that
did IPsec as a checkmark only shipped IPsec AH).   To me it also
seems an education process for new vendors that deal with v6 and have
no prior export issue experience.......while it seems ridiculous to
fill out paperwork with N/A in all
fields........well............whatever it takes to get the right
license.

- merike