Hi Kristine,

Suresh Krishnan wrote:
Hi Kristine,

Kristine Adamson wrote:

Hello,
I have a question about the SNMP IP address table in RFC 4293. For privacy IPv6 addresses (as described in RFC 3041), it appears that the ipAddressOrigin MIB object is supposed to be set to a value of random(6). Is this true also for these addresses as defined by RFC 4941

Yes. The ipAddressOrigin will be set to random for addresses generated using RFC4941 as well.

where sites can selectively enable or disable the use of privacy addresses for some prefixes?

I am not sure how this plays a role in picking the ipAddressOrigin value. Maybe I misunderstood the scope of your question.

The ipAddressOrigin TC supports 4293 the same way it does 3041. The commentary in the RFC was written prior to the elevation of privacy addresses to draft standard.

My understanding of 4293 is that it is not meant as a mechanism to control the generation of privacy addresses in any way. I am not aware of any *standardized* method for doing this. Though section 3.6 of 491 encourages vendors to provide such a knob.

Regards,
Brian