Brian:

If the client doesn't do anything with that knowledge, there's no reason
for the client to follow draft-cha-ipv6-ra-mo-00.txt and there's no
threat or danger.

If the client does start DHCPv6 because of receipt of M or O set, then
draft-cha-ipv6-ra-mo-00.txt really adds no additional threats because as
long as RAs continue to have the bit(s) set, everything is cool. If the
RAs stop or the bits are cleared (across all RAs), then
draft-cha-ipv6-ra-mo-00.txt would suggest that the client stop DHCPv6
when the lease expires (personally, I don't think clients should
terminate the lease immediately). So, again, what issue is there? Sure,
it may be that if the RA with the M or O set resumes being sent, the
client would restart DHCPv6 but that's no different than if the client
was power cycled. Also, the latency here (in the time period for
detecting a lack of RAs and letting the lease expire) is such that the
frequency of this issue is likely to be very low (once every few hours
assuming very short lease times) that it is hard to see it cause
problems. Likely the coming and going of the RAs is a much more severe
concern as it probably implies loss of connectivity to parts of the
network.

And, if clients accept unsecured RAs, a rogue device setting and then
clearing the M & O bits is the least of the worries (as per the above,
the attack can do very little compared to sending other information in
the RA).

So, let's not create FUD about something that really isn't an issue.

- Bernie