------- Original Message -------
Sender : Ted Lemon<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date   : 2008-10-16 04:34 (GMT+09:00)
Title  : Re: [dhcwg] Brokenness of specs w.r.t. client behavior with M&O bits

On Oct 13, 2008, at 9:48 PM, Pekka Savola wrote:
> I don't see why M/O bits would need to be completely deprecated (they
> could still be hints about what should be available in the network).

I don't see what good a hint is.   We'd need to understand what advice
the hint was intending to give.

> I've yet to see a DHCPv6 client implementation that would listen to
> the flags in RA and conditionally start or stop the service depending
> of the presence of flags there.  It's more complex to implement and to
> operate reliably. But granted I haven't done an extensive survey; I'd
> be interested in knowing how existing implementations operate.

I actually did write a prototype DHCPv6 client that did this, but it
was hard, because the DHCPv6 client doesn't have access to the RA
data.   So it just watches the IP addresses on the interface, and
behaves according to what it sees.   But your larger point is correct
- implementing a DHCPv6 client that takes hints or direction from the
RA requires a degree of integration that is not widely present.

Personally, I feel that the degree of integration required makes
implementing support for the RA bits a valuable exercise for operating
system implementors, but I don't think the RFCs should require it.