On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:23:55AM +0900, hyunwook cha wrote:
> What if DHCPv6 servers do not exist? AFAIK, in this thread, the cost
> of unnecessary multicast DHCPv6 messages which may be prevented
> through M&O bits are being discussed.

That's a separate issue.  Iljitsch is proposing that Multicasts must
be reduced to as close to zero as possible, as a performance criteria.

If that's truly your goal, then RA is the wrong solution from the
start: it MUST use far more multicasts.

Further...

If a client sends a DHCPv6 packet, it is because it requires some
DHCPv6 configuration to use network services.

If you do not reply to that client, you are not doing it a service.
It is not 'connected to the Internet', it is operating at a lower
level of service; without appropriate configuration.

> This does not comply with RFC4862. See section 5.4.

I'm not really concerned with RFC 4862.  RFC 3315 only lists DAD
as a SHOULD.  Someone trying to save radio transmit power, as Iljitsch
suggests, would be better served to capitalize on DHCPv6 without DAD
than to waste airtime needlessly with SLAAC.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?  https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/