Dear 6MANers

As we know, the current usage of IPv6 ND is based on the reactive method
where a node is queried on-demand, upon a packet for a neighbor for
which the link layer address is not resolved yet.

It appears that a proactive (stateful) ND method could be useful in a
number of cases:
- P2MP/NBMA where Inverse ND (RFC3122) is classically defined as a plain
IPv6 adaptation of I-ARP
- PPP because IPv6 CP does not negotiate addresses but IIDs
- Any interface for Source Address Validation with SeND

Inverse ND is the only such method currently available though 6LoWPAN is
designing an ND registration mechanism that has different properties.

3122 could be improved in a number of fashions:
- the mechanism does not enable to manage the list of addresses as they
are added/removed properly
- there are typos such as a 7bit length field in the address list option
- RFC 3122 is explicitely defined for Frame Relay (and similar) thus the
limited interest from the community. Support for all types of links
should be defined to enable stateful ND.
- it makes sense to add the support of SeND for P2MP and transit
networks.

draft-thubert-3122bis proposes a rework of RFC 3122. The proposed
changes for the support of SeND does not add anything complex
crypto-wise so we expect that 6MAN is the best place for this whole work
to take place.

What do you think?

Pascal