Hello,

draft-eubanks-chimento-6man suggests that 0 checksum should be (conditionnaly)
allowed for UDP/IPv6 packets.

First, I do not understand the rationale. As the draft notes, UDP-Lite already
allows not to checksum the payload of an IPv6 datagram (inconditionnaly).
Legacy NATs are the usual case against UDP-Lite. But that concerns only
(outer) IPv4 not IPv6.

Second, I believe the proposed change is harmful. Some widely deployed IPv6
implementations do follow RFC2460 §8.2 to the letter. Namely they do "discard
UDP packets containing a zero checksum, and (...) log the error". I am not
very keen on the idea that we would update the spec in a way that will cause
plenty of dummy errors to be logged by "legacy" IPv6 stacks. FYI, at least the
Linux kernel falls in this case.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont