On Apr 21, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker [mailto:f...@cisco.com]

This note discusses a feature to support building Greynets for IPv4
and IPv6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baker-v6ops-greynet-00.txt

In the IPv6 case, I'm not sure I understand how the "honeypot" host
would know what addresses are unused, in networks where SLAAC is used.

I would expect that it would take the router's word that no responder was found for the address.

Also, more of an editorial nature, I believe the layer 2 nitpicks might
object to the use of "LAN" to mean "IP subnet," unless I missed
something. The IEEE definition of LAN makes it so in practice, these
days, the term only applies to the single link between the layer 2
switch and one host interface.

Gee, in a layer 3 context, I use the term "LAN" to mean a "Local Area Network", a layer 2 domain, perhaps instantiated in a switch or a set of them, that connects some number of layer 3 devices. Examples include Ethernet domains, 802.11, 802.15.4, 802.16, 802.21, ...

How does the IEEE define a LAN?

I take your point that some of these probably should be translated to "IP Subnet".