Prabhu Hariharan wrote:
Hi,

For a end-device (a host), if the interface connecting to IPv6 network is configured with IPv6 global address, then automatic configuration of link-local address is mandatory for that interface? Consider the host is being statically configured with IPv6 default gateway address.

Without the presence of link-local address on interface, whether any functionality or IPv6 conformance issue would arise?

From a conformance perspective I think the specs are clear that all IPv6 interfaces must be assigned a link-local address.

From the practical perspective of "what would break" we have:

So, for DAD it would use unspecified address (::) as source address, for Address resolution it would use the IPv6 global address, no need of router discovery / prefix discovery in this host and applications would use global address. In this case, presence of link-local address is necessary?

I suspect that you also can't use DHCPv6 for non-addresses (finding the DNS servers etc) since DHCPv6 might assume that some communication uses the link-local address. But I haven't checked in the RFC.

   Erik