Hi,

is RFC 5014 what you are looking for ?

On 2009/06/29, at 20:40, Aleksi Suhonen wrote:

Hi,

Address selection happens in many places: in some cases it's supposed to happen inside the kernel, in some cases inside a library and in some cases in the application.

Would it make sense to create a uniform API so that no matter where it takes place, it has access to all the same input and configuration?

Implementors can then decide if it should be centralized in the kernel, in libc/libsocket/libnsl/libresolv, in some sort of a server or service or whatever.

The API should be fully re-entrant and iterative and it should support constraints, I guess?

A good API would make future improvements in the address selection algorithm easier to transfer from the drawing board into production use.

Thoughts? Comments? Or does it exist already and I'm just ignorant?

--
        Aleksi Suhonen

Arifumi Matsumoto
  Secure Communication Project
  NTT Information Sharing Platform Laboratories
  E-mail: arif...@nttv6.net