Hi Remi,

On Jul 27, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Rémi Després wrote:
Two constraints on IPv6 address formats appear to be unnecessary while prohibiting some designs that are useful to enhance IPv6 benefits:

- One concerns addresses that never appear on any IPv6 link.
Since only purpose of these addresses is to derive from them some local addresses subject to IID constraints, they shouldn't, be themselves, be required to include 64-bit IID fields with their restricted format (u and g bits specified values).

As I understand it, you are not (in the my terminology) talking about addresses that will not appear on any IPv6 link... You are talking about addresses, such as the global addresses in your SAM proposal, that will be used as the source and destination addresses of routed IP packets. Right?

You are suggesting that there may be ways to improve IPv6 that would require modification to the current IPv6 unicast address format, so that routing prefixes can be longer than 64-bits and IIDs can be shorter than 64 bits. Right?

I am still not 100% sure where/when you are talking about using these longer prefixes...

They would be used in IP packet headers that are routed across the network. Would they also be used in RAs? Would they be assigned via DHCP? Would hosts be expected to generate privacy addresses in these prefixes?

Longer prefixes are supported in most of the IPv6 RFCs, but there are some exceptions. There also may be restrictions in applications, such as routers that are optimized to route on the first 64 bits of the address, tools that won't let you enter more than a 64-bit prefix, etc. So, personally, I think we would need a very compelling reason to allow longer prefixes.

- The second one concerns a strict interpretation of RFC 4291 that permits new IID formats ONLY for global-scope IIDs. It happens that some new IID formats with local scope could also be useful.

If I understand this request correctly, you are asking whether it would be okay to use IIDs with the "u" bit set (indicating that they are globally unique IIDs) that are _not_ based on a modified EUI-64 identifier. Is that correct?

This would undo some of the changes we made (as a results of the GSE/ 8+8 discussions) to allow for nodes to have globally-unique IIDs. It is not clear to me that we've realized any possible benefit from those unique global IIDs, but we should understand what we are giving up before we do so.

Margaret