Seiichi Kawamura wrote:

>>> As far as X.509 certificates go, this point is correct, but using
>>> IP addresses in subjectAltName (lower case s) is a really bad
>>> idea anyway. We recommend against this in section 5.3.5 of
>>> draft-carpenter-renum-needs-work-03 (which is under AD review for
>>> Informational status).

> Yes. I agree. I did have doubts about focusing on subjectAltName as a
> common example, but I could not come up with a better one right now.

If there is a subsection that touches certificates, I think Subject and
Issuer fields should also be mentioned, since CNs (common name)
sometimes contain addresses. Mentioning them all should make a better
example.

I noticed Brian's draft does not mention this explicitly, but I take
"Any other use of IP addresses in cryptographic material is likely to be
similarly troublesome." is there to cover CNs too.

I have added a Cc: to Stefan Winter, since Stefan is author of
draft-ietf-radext-radsec-05 "RADIUS over TCP/TLS (RadSec)". The reason I
noticed the address presentation problem with subjectAltName was when I
was experimenting with RadSec.  Part of the draft describes how to
verify certificates when subjectAltName or CN contains IP addresses.

> I did think the verification problem that Heikki mentioned is
> important and can happen in other protocols so I might fix the
> wording to focus on the problem.

Certificates with IP addresses are sold and used, so I would not be
surprised if address presentation leads to verification problems.

--
Heikki Vatiainen, Arch Red Oy
+358 44 087 6547