On Jan 14, 2010, at 9:29 AM, Ralph Droms wrote:

Fred - your figure three and your e-mail describes the general case. I'm a little confused by your use of the terms "LAN" and "subnet". A couple of questions come to mind...

To me, a LAN is an instance of some lower layer networking technology, such as an Ethernet or a WiFi; where a lawyer might have defined it as a network that doesn't cross a legal boundary (for which reason we don't call Frame Relay or ATM networks "LANs" but rather "WANs"), RFC 872 defines it as

          The second thing we need to know is somewhat less
     straightforward:  A LAN is, properly speaking [2], a
     communications mechanism (or subnetwork) employing a transmission
     technology suitable for relatively short distances (typically a
     few kilometers) at relatively high bit-per-second rates
     (typically greater than a few hundred kilobits per second) with
     relatively low error rates, which exists primarily to enable
     suitably attached computer systems (or "Hosts") to exchange bits,
     and secondarily, though not necessarily, to allow terminals of
     the teletypewriter and CRT classes to exchange bits with Hosts.

A subnet is a set of interfaces that are assigned IP addresses within the same prefix and can communicate without the intervention of an IP router; some are "broadcast" (all of the interfaces can talk with each other) and some are non-broadcast (they use the same lower layer network but may not all have direct connectivity to each other). The first use of the term in the RFC series is in RFC 61, and is used synonymously with "subnetwork" in many RFCs prior to RFC 1000. The term as we use it today, to refer to hierarchical structure within a site prefix, probably derives from IEN 82 (1979), which describes the MIT LCS Net Address Format, and in so doing describes having "subnets" within the MIT campus that were not separately advertised to the ARPANET, but advertised as a single block network. It is commented on in a way more like a definition in RFCs 891 and 898; 898 reports that

      Postel:  A description of the gateway implemented at MIT.  The
      gateway was first developed by Noel Chiappa.  It is written in C.
      The MIT environment has 32 internal networks which are treated as
      subnets of the MITNET on the Internet.  The MIT gateways then do
      subnet routing in their interior protocol.  The subnet routing
scheme is similar to GGP. Liza has added an EGP implementation to
      this gateway.

Jeff Mogul and others generalized that in RFCs 917, 922, 932, 936, 940, and 950, and it finally got defined in a form we would recognize today in RFCs 1122, 1123, and 1812.

I think the term "subnet" is well understood in our context.

A ULA for the site network is a special case, because (ideally, I think), one CPE RTR (terminology from figure 3) needs to generate the ULA for the site network. If there is more than one CPE RTR, care must be taken to generate one ULA for the site and to keep that ULA consistent (as much as possible) over time.

I think the CPE Router Design Team agrees with that statement. They're asking whether 6man agrees with it.

Let me try to write out your three configuration scenarios in more detail.

On the "root" link in figure 3 ("prefix:0"), if there are three prefixes for the site network, say, ISP1::/48, ISP2::/48 and ULA::/ 48, then that root link would be assigned ISP1:0::/64 (pls give me suspension of disbelief for notation here), ISP2:0::/64 and ULA: 0::/64. Further suppose "CPE RTR ISP 1" has been in some way designated as the ULA source for the site network. Each of the routers presumably needs an address from each of the three prefixes on its interface to the root link. As you wrote, those addresses could be provided through manual assignment, DHCP or RS/RA/SLAAC:

* manual - all interfaces are assigned manually
* DHCP
- CPE RTR ISP 1 assigns an address from ISP1:0::/64 and ULA:0::/64 to
its interface and acts as a DHCP server for ISP1:0::/64 and ULA: 0::/64
- CPE RTR ISP 2 assigns an address from ISP2:0::/64 to its interface
  and acts as a DHCP server for ISP2:0::/64
- the CPE RTRs and the Office RTRs all perform DHCP on the root link;
  CPE RTR ISP 2 and the Office RTRs receive addresses from ISP1:0::/64
  and from ULA:0::/64 from CPE RTR ISP 1; CPE RTR ISP 1 and the Office
  RTRs receive an address from ISP2:0::/64 from CPE RTR ISP 2
* RS/RA/SLAAC
- CPE RTR ISP 1 assigns an address from ISP1:0::/64 and ULA:0::/64 to
  its interface; acts as a DHCP server for ISP1:0::/64 and ULA:0::/64;
sends RAs advertising and specifying SLAAC on ISP1:0::/64 and ULA: 0::/64
- CPE RTR ISP 2 assigns an address from ISP2:0::/64 to its interface;
  acts as a DHCP server for ISP2:0::/64; sends RAs advertising and
  specifying SLAAC on ISP2:0::/64
- the CPE RTRs and the Office RTRs all receive RAs on the root link; they each
  use SLAAC to assign addresses from the advertised prefixes

The only way I know to get the prefixes for the links labeled "prefix:[234567]" in figure 3 is through DHCP-PD.

That is probably true. My question is: which interface should those prefixes be assigned to?

                   /-------+-/   /
                   prefix:2|     |
                       +---+--+  |
                       |Office|  |
                       |RTR 1 +--+                 --
                       +---+--+  |  +-------+     /
                   prefix:3|     |  |CPE RTR|    |
                   /-------+-/   +--+ISP 1  +------ ISP 1
                                 |  +-------+    |
                   /-------+-/   |p               \
                   prefix:4|     |r                --
                       +---+--+  |e
                       |Office|  |f
                       |RTR 2 +--+i
                       +---+--+  |x
                   prefix:5|     |:                --
                   /-------+-/   |0 +-------+     /
                                 |  |CPE RTR|    |
                   /-------+-/   +--+ISP 2  +------ ISP 2
                   prefix:6|     |  +-------+    |
                       +---+--+  |                \
                       |Home  |  |                 --
                       |RTR   +--+
                       +---+--+  |
                   prefix:7|     |
                   /-------+-/   /

                          Figure 3: Complex SOHO

In this diagram, the network is conveniently tree-structured. Let me throw a ringer in here; the even numbered subnets are discovered to be WiFi using the same SSID, so that the picture really looks like:

            /                   /
            |                   |
            |prefix:2 +------+  |
            +---------|Office|  |
            |         |RTR 1 +--+                 --
            |         +---+--+  |  +-------+     /
            |     prefix:3|     |  |CPE RTR|    |
            |                   |  +-------+    |
            +---------|Office|  |f
            |         |RTR 2 +--+i
            |         +---+--+  |x
            |     prefix:5|     |:                --
            |     /-------+-/   |0 +-------+     /
            |                   |  |CPE RTR|    |
            |                   |  +-------+    |
            +---------|Home  |  |                 --
            |         |RTR   +--+
            |         +---+--+  |
            |     prefix:7|     |
            /
                  Figure 3++: Incredibly Complex SOHO

You note that the same LAN now has three prefixes on it - and not just three, but three subnets of the common ULA, three subnets of ISP#1's prefix, and three subnets of ISP#2's prefix. I submit that this might just possibly be overkill, but there is no way apart from configuration for the CPE RTR's to discern that.

I submit that therefore DHCP can't solve that, at least at the level of technology as it exists today. However, OR#1, OR#2, and HR can hear each other asserting RAs on it, and can sort it out among themselves.

In this case, CPE RTR ISP 1 acts as a DHCP-PD server for ISP1:0::/64 and ULA:0::/64 and CPE RTR ISP 2 acts as a DHCP-PD server for ISP2:0::/64. The Office RTRs will receive delegated prefixes from both CPE RTRs and configure each of those "downstream" links with, e.g., ISP1:2::/64, ISP2:2::/64 and ULA:2::/64. Note that I don't think RFC 3633 (DHCP-PD) allows for interaction with multiple DHCP- PD servers, so this scenario needs some extensions to RFC 3633.

Getting back to the ULA issue, if there is to be just one ULA, then the CPE RTRs have to elect a ULA source and have a mechanism for ULA persistence in case the ULA source fails. I suppose multiple ULAs in the site network would avoid the election and persistence issues at the cost of extra prefixes and complexity?

The various routers need some way to know which role they are playing and which configuration mechanism to use. There also may be a need to exchange routing/forwarding information about the routers.

Understood. I submit that we have enough mechanism to achieve that if we use it creatively.

- Ralph