Hi Vishwas:

> I just read through your draft and have some basic comments.
[Pascal] : )

> It seems like a mechanism similar to the way path finding is/ was done
> in the Token ring network. I have some comments however.

[Pascal] You've got  a good memory. Yes, the test frame would trace a path
through bridges.
We'll note that TR would enable duplicate MAC addresses, which was used
extensively as a high availability tool.
No going that far, there are many examples of source route in IP, LSRR, DSR...

> 1. I think the whole Record route should act as an application of IPv6
> (not the IPv6 Extension header - it gives a lot of flexibility). We
> could send packets Hop-by-hop in this case with the information which
> gets punted to the application at each hop, which in turn adds
> address.

[Pascal] At the moment, the only use case is RPL. So we could have made that a
RPL field.
But there might be other users, and it seemed that a more generic mechanism
could be beneficial to the community.
And this spec is a companion for the RH4 spec. So we thought it better like
this, but let's see what others think.

> 2. The second thing is do we always assume that we have a path from
> any device to the Border route is correct. If not we may have to do
> flooding and then checks to see that the packet is not getting looped
> back. For that we may have some context in the higher layer packet.

[Pascal] If your point is that the gathering of the path is not
self-sufficient, I completely agree with you.
There needs to be a higher level protocol that decides how the record route
gets propagated to one or more successors.
RPL is such protocol, and it has its own inconsistency detection mechanism.
I agree I could add words on the expectation on the what happens above.

> 3. We should have loop checks whenever we add an address to the list,
> to make sure the address is not readded.

[Pascal] Yes, we could enforce rules similar to that of RH4. Let's see how that
settles.

> 4. A link local address has context only in scope of an interface.
> Would we want to specify the interface if we are using link-local
> address in the packet.

[Pascal] If the packet gets out a same interface, we could imagine that the
mechanism works as described.
But if we have to go out a different interface, then we have to formalize what
an interface ID is. That might be going too far for a spec like this?

Thanks a bunch Vishwas,

Pascal