Hi Brian,

I am a PhD student working on home networking, and especially on multihoming.

I agree Ole and think that multihoming will be no longer the privilege of industries, but will be available to home networks too.

As a home network is not be managed by an administrator in most cases, the solutions have to be simple and automatic. So, these networks will have to deal with PA prefixes, renumbering, internal routing and so on. Finally, if home networks have solutions to deal with it, why industries can't do the same?

Regards,
Etienne Gallet de Santerre

Ole Troan a écrit :
Brian,

Sorry I was not in Maastricht and able to attend.

Technically, it's very interesting, and is (as far as I am
concerned) the original plan for IPv6 multihoming, as we expected
ten years ago.

But there's a problem. As far as I can tell from formal and
informal contacts with IT management in typical companies
and campuses, the idea of operating multiple prefixes in parallel,
although fundamental in IPv6 design, is highly unwelcome to such
managers. RFC 4192 is almost unknown, typical address management
software packages struggle to deal with even one IPv6 prefix,
and the aversion to renumbering when changing ISPs is enormous.
In fact there's an RFC about that too: RFC 5887. We know that
these site IT managers, and their ISPs, and therefore the RIRs,
are going for PI prefixes as a result of this situation.

What I don't see is how we can make the multi-prefix approach
the preferred approach in the industry. Showing that it works
is not going to be enough. It has to be *easy*.

the use case which triggered this is for residential deployment. where you have
two independent but aware of each other service providers (one ASP, one ISP)
delivering service into the home.

the deployment will require no configuration by the network owner (aka end
user).

I wouldn't tout this type of multi-homing to enterprises (just yet).
on the other hand since every network is going to be IPv4 and IPv6 multi-homed
very soon now, perhaps this isn't going to be much harder. ;-)

cheers,
Ole