Being a little pedantic here...my understanding is that a host never knows a
subnet length, per se.  What the host knows is a list of on-link prefixes,
which it matches against outbound traffic.  A minimal implementation might not
keep a list of on-link prefixes and send everything to its default router;
redirects would do the rest...

- Ralph, who is sorry if he missed something earlier in the thread and is now
pedanting up the wrong tree