Hi Suresh,

Please see two comments below:

Suresh Krishnan wrote:

> Hi Shree,
>    Thanks for the comments. Please find responses inline.
>
> On 10-09-07 09:38 AM, JOSHI, SHRINIVAS ASHOK (SHRINIVAS ASHOK) wrote:
> > Suresh,
> >
> > One of the main challenge in implementing the model proposed by the
> > draft is that edge router has no reliable indication if a host (once it has
> > sent an RS) is present on the network or not.

I agree that this is the main challenge.

[...]

> > 1.  Prefix Lifetime Binding/Expiry..
> >
> >     Unlike DHCP there is no mechanism with SLAAC for a host (client)
> >   to renew its address/prefix binding. Relying on host to send a router
> >   solicitation (as a keep alive) toward edge router is not a viable option.
> >
> >     RFC 4861 (section 6.3.7 )
> >
> >     Router solicitation "may" be sent after following events
> >
> >             - The interface is initialized at system startup time.
> >             - The interface is reinitialized after a temporary interface
> >                failure or after being temporarily disabled by system
> >                management.
> >             - The system changes from being a router to being a host, by
> >                having its IP forwarding capability turned off by system
> >                management.
> >             - The host attaches to a link for the first time.
> >             - The host re-attaches to a link after being detached for some
> > time.
> >
> >     In such an situation what is the mechanism for edge router to
> >   time out a binding from its database ?
>
> Right. The BBF deployment will have periodic RAs sent to the client
> with the PIOs after the initial RS is sent. The client does not need to
> periodically retransmit the RSs.

Sending periodic RAs with the PIO does not help with the two problems that were
pointed out:

- the network does not necessarily know when a host attaches, because the host
may timeout sending RSs before the link layer is available to carry these RS's
up to the node assigning a prefix. As a result the network does not know that a
host attached, does not allocate a prefix, and cannot send a periodic RA that
contains the PIO necessary for that hosts to complete SLAAC. The hosts ends up
with no connectivity.

- the network never knows when a host detaches, because the host does not send
a "goodbye" RS. As a result, if a prefix were allocated by the network for the
host, it cannot be returned to a free prefix pool based on signaling from the
host. Are you planning to collect unused prefix based on an unused timer?

--julien