Hello again,

* Arifumi Matsumoto

> Correct. But, I think the latter case is less problematic, in that
> it avoids avoidable troubles.

Agreed.  While it does not avoid all potential troubles, it does seem
likely that it will cause less problems overall than the current algorithm.

> IMO, it's a matter of local network policy whether fe80::bad is
> really good or bad.

RFC 3484 with the default policy table already considers 6to4 source
addresses worse than native addresses.  I don't think it is
controversial to similarly consider 6to4 routers as worse than native
routers by default.

Besides, a large majority of the 6to4 routers on the internet today are
indeed unwanted and cause very bad results for people like me that want
to deploy IPv6 services in a reliable manner.

> As you mention it, I think the simplicity came from modularization
> of destination address selection, route (next-hop) selection, and
> source address selection, brings much benefits to implementing and
> understanding the protocol stack.
>
> So, if you break it, we really have to be careful about its benefits
> and side effects.

I can see that.  There's in my opinion a clear benefit to making sure
that both 1) the best available source address is selected, and 2) the
next-hop used is appropriate for the source address used.  (Your new
rule sacrifices #1 to achieve #2 the way I see it.)

Since next-hop selection is so tightly coupled with source address
selection I think it makes lots of sense to handle both in RFC 3484.

>> BTW:  With your new rule active, and if the destination in my
>> example situation above is dual-stacked, do I understand correctly
>> that if the selected source address for the IPv6 destination
>> address ends up being the 6to4 one (SA, in my example above), then
>> IPv4 will be preferred, thanks to rule 5 of the destination address
>> selection algorithm?
>>
>> If that is the case would be a great help with dual-stack
>> brokenness. Even though preferring IPv4 where native IPv6 is
>> available isn't optimal, it's much better than accidentally
>> preferring 6to4 (either source address or next-hop) to, well,
>> pretty much anything else.
>
> I think it is correct, as far as the IPv4 address is global, or IPv4
>  private address scope is changed to global as proposed in my draft.
>
> And, I think this should be a reasonable compromise for this specific
> case.

Good.  I support adding your new rule.  It's a step forward compared to
RFC 3484, even though it doesn't get us all the way.  And it won't
prevent us from adding the final piece of the puzzle (i.e. next-hop
selection logic) later.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson