One of the confusions here is that the same field (next header) is used to identify extension headers and carried protocols. I am sure that the authors are not demanding that we change the TCP, UDP, SCTP, DCCP, or ICMP header formats. I presume that they are not asking that we constrain the header format of new transport protocols.

As such, tunnel protocols are probably not a good example of the need for extension headers. They behave as encapsulating headers, hence they are really a carried protocol, not an extension of the IP header.

Also, I do not see why a new extension header would be noticeably more efficient than adding an option in the proper option header (with the option header having the advantage of being clear about who the information is for.)

On a related note, RFC 2460 actually mandates that new extension headers be created ONLY for headers which meet specific handling constraints. Putting handling directives in the extension header means that we are explicit reversing a statement in RFC 2460.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern