Hello,

We are deploying IPV6 to our customers and are carefully planning the
architecture of how we are going to deploy prefixes, assign customer gateways
and how we are going to number our own infrastructure in a meaningful way.
Although I think Stateless Autoconfiguration will be used quite a deal for
nodes that are "clients", most of my customers have large server farms and our
infrastructure, of course, has many routers.  I would think it would be
preferable to be able to either use a DHCPV6 pool or to use manual
configuration so that the resulting Interface Identifier is either bounded
within a known range (tighter than 64 bits wide) or is a specific predictable
address (like ::ABC/128 for all customer Gateways, etc.) or to have patterns
like :AAAA: within an Identifier for all Edge Routers for easier "on sight"
identification by SysAdmins...

However, after many days of reading, I cannot find any place that specifically
details the method one would use to identify suitable ranges to choose from for
a manually configured Interface ID or a pool of such IDs.  Is it as simple as
setting the 71st and 72nd bit and avoiding Anycast addresses?

RFC 5453 seems to be written to address this, but seems to have all the
relevant detail missing...

What am I missing?  Isn't this a concern for everyone?

[cid:image001.gif@01CB9DF2.94684920]
chad kissinger  |  founder-vp  |  onramp access, llc
p: 512.322.9200  |  f: 512.476.2878  |  www.onr.com<http://www.onr.com/>
your internet operations  |  built  |  deployed  |  managed

<<inline: image001.gif>>