I would be reluctant to advocate use of a hash algorithm
as computationally expensive as MD5() for generating an
IPv6 Flow Label.

My sense is that a thoughtful implementer likely would
choose the least computationally expensive algorithm
that would suffice to generate a Flow Label value
suitable for load-balancing purposes.

As a use case, one might consider some sort of content server
with very large numbers of short-lived TCP sessions.  If an
expensive algorithm (e.g. MD5()) were used in that case,
then the effort to compute the flow label might be am
interesting fraction of "new TCP session creation" overhead.
In turn, this might impair the scalability of that content
server.

In any event, I'm quite comfortable with Brian's current
approach to document a possible algorithm that ought to
suffice without mandating any particular algorithm.
This really is a situation where the details are best
left to implementers (since no interoperability issue
would arise from different implementations using different
algorithms).

Yours,

Ran