On Jul 13, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Ray Hunter wrote:
>
>> So where's the limit for ND and prefix length on today's implementations and
>> platforms?
>
> Todays L3 switches typically have an ND/ARP table size limitations in the
> 1-4k entry range.
>
>> What if SLAAC was limited to using 20 bits or even just 16 bits of MAC BIA
>> information or even in extremis dare I say 12 bits?
>
> /120 would be more doable. When I think of ND table size per customer, I'm
> thinking limitation to 16-32 entries, after that the customer needs to get a
> router.

We have seen problems in the 2^11 or 2^12 in IPv4 land with directly-connected
customer lans.  The ability for the Mac <-> IP (ARP) to work properly is a
serious issue with reasonable routers.

I think the larger issue here is that an ARP either solicited/unsolicited does
not cause an entry to age.  That is what happens in IPv6 (NDP) land, so that's
an issue IMHO.

- Jared