Hi Karl,

On 23.07.2011 00:42, Karl Auer wrote:
> Well, the obvious ones are
>
> a) your diagnostic may not be tracking a flow, but single packets or
> groups of packets that are only part of a flow. It may even be trying to
> figure out why a flow is not working.

The draft was lacking a clear problem statement so that wasn't clear to me.

>> On 22 Jul 2011, at 04:59, Roland Bless wrote:
>>> a) the Flow Label is part of the standard common IPv6 header, thus
>>>   always present and easier to process (even in the fast path) as
>>>   you also pointed out.
>
> True, but if it is in use, you have a flow you can't diagnose (at least
> not by using the flow label). Bear in mind that the flow label may even

Depends on what you want to diagnose.

> change in transit (if I read the burbling, ever-changing discussion on
> flow labels correctly, which I may well not have).

That shouldn't be the case though, see Brian's reply.

>>> b) Useful Flow Label support in end-systems (i.e., setting the Flow
>>>   Label correctly) is more likely than support for this newly
>>>   suggested additional option, once it would have been adopted.
>
> Not sure I see your point here. As soon as the flow label is being used
> by end systems - correctly OR incorrectly - it can no longer be used by
> diagnostic tools, or at least not if they need to modify the flow label
> values.

My point was referring to the case when the flow label is being used
as intended, not for other purposes.

>>> c) it is really unclear how you would enable the use of the proposed
>>>   option in end-systems on demand. In case of debugging a network
>>>   problem you need to enable this option later, if not too late.
>
> Presumably debugging tools would be able to do it. Having a debugging
> tool after the fact is still better than having no tool at all.

My point was that you cannot assume that every end-system has such
debugging tool installed and that you can turn it on remotely.
So using special end-systems as debugging tools sending
these special packets out is IMHO a different setting...

> My chief worry is that if you start inserting headers in a packet stream
> to debug it, you are changing what it is you are debugging - for

Yes.

Regards,
 Roland