The earlier part of this thread was talking about sending; you're
now bringing up receiving.

IMO, if the packet came from IPv4, and that IPv4 network had a small
MTU (e.g., 576) causing fragmentation, then such an IPv6 receiver
will be unable to receive the packet.

> In my understanding, the answer should be yes.
> - This doesn't depend on whether sources know or not whether their
> destinations are IPv6 or IPv4 only.
> - If the destination happens to be IPv6, current RFC's don't permit
> intermediate nodes to refuse 1280 packets as being too big.
>
> 2.
> How sources can be sure to have e2e transparency in IPv6 is a different
> question, but IMHO an important one.
>
> For instance, if a destination address is obtained from the DNS in a
> AAAA, with no A for the same URL  and without any well-known prefix
> indicating that there is an embedded-IPv4-address, I hope the source
> can be guaranteed that e2e transparency won't be broken?

I don't think so.  DNS64 comes to mind.

> I won't have time personally to contribute much on this, but the
> subject would usefully be clarified, IMHO.

The RFCs are pretty clear, IMO.  Implementers don't want to read
them all the way.

-d