IMHO there is no requirement AFAIK for there to be a SINGLE default route for any address family (either IPv4 or IPv6). If there are multiple candidate default routes available, most sensible systems will install the default route with the lowest administrative distance into the forwarding table (with the admin distance being set based on how the route was learned). The administrative distance is a local system parameter and has not been standardized e.g. an administrator might decide to trust statically configured routing entries more than dynamic entries.

If a system has multiple default routes available with equal administrative distance and equal metrics, any sensible IP forwarding software might be expected to load balance, either on a per flow basis or per packet basis, in exactly the same way as any other routing entry.

regards,

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:12:31 +0530
From: Naarumanchi Kaushik<shankarkaus...@gmail.com>
To: Jeroen Massar<jer...@unfix.org>
Cc:ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Question on IPv6 Route table.

Before I try what you have suggested, i have a question.
the way we have a default interface to be used(when there are multiple
interfaces) in the route table for ipv4, why there was no unique default
entry for ipv6 too?

Assuming my route table looks like this:
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     1      0        0 eth0
192.168.42.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     2      0        0 ra0
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 ra0
default         192.168.2.254   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
Any packet destined to a global address will go through eth0 only. But in
ipv6 when we have two entries(with same Next Hop, Same metrics) and if i had
to select one of them, how do we ensure that everytime, we use the same
interface?
pls correct me if i am wrong.

N.V.S.Kaushik.